LSD is found most commonly in liquid form, which is clear, colorless, and odorless. The liquid is applied to blotter paper, which is cut into stamp-like squares or circles. The paper is applied to the tongue, and the drug enters the bloodstream through that membrane. LSD liquid is sometimes applied to sugar cubes, candy, crackers, stickers, or gelatin, so it can be ingested orally. While consuming the drug orally means it takes longer to take effect, the high can last longer and might be less intense.
This substance can also sometimes be found as a white powder, capsule, or in tablet form, although these are less common forms.
It is difficult to overdose on LSD. It is more likely that a person who takes too much LSD for their specific body composition will have a bad trip; they could potentially experience flashbacks for several years, which can negatively impact their life. Panic attacks, aggression, suicidal thoughts, and other emotional problems can be remnants of a bad trip on LSD, even when the person ingested a low dose of the drug.
However, it is possible to overdose on LSD in the sense that mental and physical side effects of even a normal dose can be dangerous. For example, people with pre-existing heart or lung problems could experience intense panic that leads to hospitalization. Rarer issues associated with overdose on LSD are rhabdomyolysis, when muscle tissue is destroyed; hyperthermia, or a dangerous increase in body temperature; stroke or blood clots; seizures; and coma.